Celtic Ross Environmental Policy
The Celtic Ross Hotel is the perfect base from which to explore the southern stretch of Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way. With the beautiful surroundings of beaches and coastal walks, which are on our doorstep the hotel contains a passion in the protection of these for our future generations. We plan to achieve this by the actions of “leave no trace”
At the Celtic Ross Hotel, we believe that hotels and businesses have a vital role to play to achieve sustainability. On investigation and study of the 50 Shades Greener programme and the SDG (Sustainable development goals) we have learned different actions in which we can undertake in the steps towards a greener community. The hotel aims to reduce waste, recycle items, and reuse what is available to us.
Our commitment to this programme is by measuring the consumption of Energy, Waste and Water usage and plan a process to reduce monthly.
Our achievements for 2022 were:
· Water to fall by 17%
· Energy to fall by 10%
· Food waste to fall by 7%
· General waste to fall by 20%
Our Goals for 2023 are:
· To maintain energy levels
· To decrease landfill by
· The maintain levels of water usage
Our current actions to achieve these goals:
· Use of coffee grinds as a natural fertilizer for our surrounding gardens.
· Refillable soap dispensers in all bedrooms which replaces the single use items.
· Removal of plastic water bottles in hotel rooms which is replaced by fully compostable bottles
· Extra recycling bins in all departments - subject to departmental needs
· Installation of CHP (combined heat and power) unit
· Daily departmental walk of property to ensure items are switched off when not required.
· LED lights in all areas of the hotel – this can save the hotel an enormous amount of up to €100,000 annually
· Water usage tracked monthly
· Replaced taps and shower heads in hotel to reduce waterflow in hotel rooms
· Local beach clean-ups
· Involved in Rosscarbery Tidy-Towns
· Community Support -Through sponsorship of South West Coastal Rowing, Carbery Rangers, Skibbereen Rowing Club, West Cork Farming awards and West Cork Sports Star awards.
We have always embraced the concept of “farm to fork” in the Celtic Ross hotel by working with a range of local suppliers.
· Gubbeen cheese and dairy
· Rosscarbery free-range pork
· West Cork eggs
· West Cork Skeaghanore duck
· Bushby’s Rosscarbery strawberries
· Sally Woodcock smokery
· Free Range Shannonvale Chicken
· McCarthy’s Lamb, Drimoleague
· The fish station, seafood cuisine
· Allshire’s Rosscarbery Recipes